History of the Lewes phoenix
The Phoenix Iron and Steel Works also known as: The Phoenix Foundry, The Phoenix Ironworks, John Every Ltd and the East Sussex Engineering Company was central to the working lives of a great many Lewes families during its 154 year history.
Established in 1832 in a small building at the bottom of North Street by John Every, the blast for the original furnace was provided by a horse driven fan. It grew into a modern prosperous business producing very high quality iron and steel work.
Artemis Arts have been awarded a generous grant by the Heritage Lottery to help preserve the history of this important Lewes industry.
Stone Cross Wind Mill
Stone Cross Windmill was constructed for the farmer Samuel Dallaway in 1875/6...
The Lottery helps to honour Lewes’ Industrial Past.
The Mayor and Mayoress, Councillor Michael Chartier and Monica Chartier hosted...
From the Ashes’ Exhibition of Photographs
‘From the Ashes’ Exhibition of Photographs, Documents and Recordings of Old Lewes...